On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Leslie Newell wrote:

> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 00:33:00 +0100
> From: Leslie Newell <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Servo tuning
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> My point is that the I term is introducing the error in the first place.
> As you can see from the second plot, without I the response is pretty good.
>
> I have been wondering if my problems  are hostmot2 related but I can't
> think of any way that they can be. The encoder appears to be reading
> correctly and the output is simply PWM - I can't see how that could
> affect the tuning in the way I am experiencing.
>
> Les

Yes its pretty strange, looked at your trace once again and I dont know how
you get the slow error buildup when in motion. With an "I" term added before
things were well tuned, I would still expect ierror to try to correct the
existing error, maybe windup and overshoot at the end, but you dont have that
problem. The PID component only has feedback and commanded position inputs
coming from HostMot2 (I think thats all), and they obviously work for P and D,
so how "I" can not work properly is fairly mysterious.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)