> I have a very well-hidden article on tuning.

Excellent.  And very well hidden.  Every week I seem to accidentaly find a
great article on the emc web site.

> See http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?PWM_Servo_Amplifiers

How do you generate your step pulses?  When I was tunning, I would keep the
machine on and do an MDI move.  This doesn't work too well when the tuning
is so bad it faults when you enable the machine.