2009/10/1 Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net>:

>>What sort of encoder is it? It looks to have a slot that isn't registering.
>
> Heidenhain - there's nothing wrong with the encoder, it's the third one
> I've tried, all with the same effect.

No, now you have the pulses on there I retract that suggestion.

> what you can determine from the pulse widths/spikes is inconclusive.
>
> Halscope shows pulse width variation, my Tektronix o'scope doesn't.

Is Halscope running in the base thread or the servo thread? I have
found significant aliasing issues with running in the servo thread.
The apparent variations are probably due to sample quantisation.

> I've another brand new 500ppr Stegmann encoder I could try, with Peter
> Wallace's pulse reducer but I'm betting the results will be the same.

I think you are probably right.

Gear drive head? I wonder if those speed variations are actually real
and due to gear rattle.

--
atp