Jon Elson wrote:
> OK, things look worse, and obvious noise is showing in the A and B
> traces when you do this.
> I think it shows that the sampling was being done at the faster rate
> before.
OOps, I misread what you had changed.  Chris said it right.  This is
allowing you to see what is actually being seen
by the base thread sampling, and why the velocity estimation is noisy.
I think if you blow up the position
trace with the AC coupled selection of the offset button, you will see
incorrect counts due to the noise in the
encoder signals.  You may have electrical interference, these encoders
may need a pull-up resistor to +5 V on
the A and B lines.  Or, the LED may be fading, throwing off the duty
cycle of the A, especially.  Something
is dreadfully wrong.  It is typical to see some dither right at the
transition point of the signal, but you have
pulses right in the middle of the high parts.  MOST notably, they are
ONLY present when the A or B are high,
NEVER when they are low!  This is a BIG hint that the drive strength of
the encoder's output driver might be
insufficient, and is barely pulling up above the threshold of the
parallel port's input.  I would think a 1 K Ohm
resistor from +5 V to the A and B would make a big difference.  You can
get +5 V from the game port or a
hard drive plug.  Yup, also looking closer, I see COORDINATED spikes in
both A and B on a number of
cycles.  That reinforces my suspicion of the above.

Jon