On Thursday 01 October 2009, Steve Blackmore wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:17:51 +0100, you wrote:
>>2009/10/1 Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net>:
>>> http://imagebin.ca/view/lUA3lv.html
>>
>>I am amazed that G33 works at all with that velocity noise. Mine is no
>>more than 10% dither and is being blamed for my inability to thread.
>>
>>What sort of encoder is it? It looks to have a slot that isn't
>> registering.
>
>Heidenhain - there's nothing wrong with the encoder, it's the third one
>I've tried, all with the same effect.
>
>Here's a halscope of the encoder pulses
>
>http://imagebin.ca/view/1SkQrEB.html

And what I think I'm seeing is quantization noise in the time domain, the
occasionally very narrow spike probably isn't there on your o-scope.  But it
(to me anyway) points to a problem in that the sampling is probably not being
done in the base thread, but in the 1 millisecond thread.  Can that not be
moved to the base thread?

>From that halscope shot, I think I'd slow the spindle revs to 100 just to
reduce the noise effects of the sampling jitter.

>what you can determine from the pulse widths/spikes is inconclusive.
>
>Halscope shows pulse width variation, my Tektronix o'scope doesn't.
>
>I've another brand new 500ppr Stegmann encoder I could try, with Peter
>Wallace's pulse reducer but I'm betting the results will be the same.
>PITA to do, as the plug is different and I'll have to rewire the end. I
>may try that tomorrow, I'll see how I feel, off to a Beer Festival
>tonight so may be too fragile to wield a soldering iron tomorrow <G>.
>
>Steve Blackmore
>--

Cheers, Gene

        "You've got to think about tomorrow!"