Hi Andy,
with your open encoder, have you checked the possibility of interference
from a flourescent light that might hang somewhere above your machine? I
have encountered this phenomenon at my shop trying to test a DRO. Look at
the flickering of the display of a digital camera with flourescent light
and you 'll know what I mean!

Peter Blodow