Andy Pugh wrote:
> 2009/10/2 Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net>:
>

>> On page 6 I changed the sampling rate to base thread.
>>
>> http://filebin.ca/wacbfm/screenshots.pdf
>>

> Aha! I see noisy encoder signals. That seems to be confusing the
> velocity calculation (but possibly not the position calculation)
> I am also a little surprised that the mark-space ratio on channels A
> and B differs. I don't know enough about the subject to know if that
> matters.

OOOHHHH!  I think you have something!  YES, this actually makes sense!
The velocity calculation uses the time of the last edge coming in to
compute velocity.
If you have noise on the encoder signals (A & B), then the time of the
last edge may
not be relevant to the last valid count, or if the encoder is just
"dithering" it will
show much higher velocity than would be measured by position delta.

Does the velocity calc require a valid quadrature transtiion, or does it
count ANY
transition on the A and B inputs?  Also, if the encoder is dithering
rapidly while not
moving at all beyond the +/- 1 count, does that count as a high
velocity?  I think it
has to, the way the code is written.

There was a chip that did the quadrature to analog tach conversion, it
had two frequency
to voltage converters, that were differentially summed.  One for each
direction.  So, encoder
dithering would cancel out by summing.

Jon