On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 13:02 -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
> > I need a C algorithm that solves the shortest distance to a carousel
> > tool (encoder wraps at 0). I can solve the distance from the current to
> > the target tool with three tests, CW distance CCW distance, then test
> > for the shortest, but it seems I should be able to do this in one test.
> > I suspect the solution is so simple, I'll slap my forehead when I see
> > it. Thanks.
> >
> You could use the modmath component.
>
> Or look at the source code for the algorithm I chose :)
>
> - Steve

Man, the documentation couldn't get thinner. There is a modmath.ko (but
no source), a "loadrt modmath mod_dir=2" in the Mazak .hal file and that
seems to be it. I'll hit it with a rock (wiggle pins in AXIS) and see
what it does. I suppose I should add something to the wiki... unless
someone beats me to it.

I thought this would be simple but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

--