Thank you guys for your answers, you were very helpful..

I will explain what i decided to do... the idea is to make the X axis of the
lathe to be a mill and the  spindle will be turned with a servo motor
reduced several times to increase torque (probably with a worm and gear to
make impossible the spindle to move ), i don't really need high rpm... i
think that maybe the maximum rpm would be 100 or 150, because there is no
need to make it turn faster.

So, the idea is to use 2 servo motors, one for the spindle and another for
the X axis, (Z axis could be a stepper, it's not critical) and yes it will
be used for making the roughing process of the camshaft.

The shape of the lobes, well.. we have data for some models.. others we have
to find out how the profile is, but the idea is to model the lobe in
solidworks for example and then use the postprocesor to make the g-code for
emc2.

I have a lot of doubts about this because we have only used emc for
positioning and I/O in our grinders, and these ones have masters for making
the lobes.

But i think that i would use it as a milling machine, it's easier and fast
for production.. so the idea is begin with the tests in the next weeks.

I hope someday we can afford a cnc landis :( haha..

Thank you very much to all of you, and if you have more ideas or anything i
would like to talk about it.. if i made improvements i will tell you!

Best regards.

Leonardo.