On Sunday, April 03, 2011 04:58:59 PM Dave did opine:

> It's won't draw anything close to 35 amps and a lot of the currrent it
> draws will be reactive power (KVARS) which your power meter does not
> sense (at least it should not).
>
> 15 hp is pretty big though, but if the price is right, I'd try it out.
> The downside is that you will need a lot of caps to spin that baby up.
> :-)
Well, its a spare for the GE TF3a transmitters heat exchanger, shut down 2
years ago now.  There is also a couple of spares for the water pump, which
are 10's IIRC.  And I am good at twisting arms. ;-)

> Dave
>
> On 4/3/2011 10:52 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, April 03, 2011 10:46:26 AM John Thornton did opine:
> >> John,
> >>
> >> I think it is finally done... sorry for the delay.
> >>
> >> http://gnipsel.com/shop/rpc/rpc.xhtml
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > How efficient would you say this is John?  I can lay my hands on a 15
> > hp 3 phase motor for the base iron.
> >
> > And how big a 3 phase motor could be operated from it?
> >
> > I would have a hard time justifying an idling current draw of 35 amps
> > a leg from the 240 to run a 3 horse motor on the machine.

Cheers, Gene
<http://tinyurl.com/ddg5bz>
<http://www.cantrip.org/gatto.html>
The only thing worse than X Windows: (X Windows) - X