Hello everyone! This is my first posting to the list so forgive any newbie faux
paus (sp?).

Anyway I have never used EMC and am looking at doing my first EMC build (lathe
retrofit). My first build was an AjaxCNC "kit" so this is my first true build
where I am sourcing all the parts and learning along the way. I am learning
quite a bit, but there is a huge gap in knowledge before I am anywhere near
where I need to be. A plan to use Brushless DC servos ad have begun trying to
find suitable amps and all the rest of the necessary hardware to get the system
up and running. So I am looking at motion control cards at the moment and need
to get some information. The brushless DC motors added a layer of complexity
that I hadn't had to deal with with my previous build since everything was
brushed DC. So I have been doing a lot of reading on motors, commutation, amps
and drivers and think that I am starting to sort things out a bit. But I don't
know much about motion control cards. How generic are these things in terms of
pairing them to servo amps? What
 about software, if I buy something like a galil card on ebay will I need
driver software and is that available somewhere? I know that Pico makes a 4
axis board, but after a posting on the linux forum Jon made me a bit hesitant
on using his board with these motors because he had some trouble in the past. I
don't know if that is a motor problem, a amp problem or a motion controller
problem but I'd hate to find out by  buying all the components only to have it
not work out.
I have thought about the Mesa cards, but I honestly don't know what all I would
need to buy or what I would need to configure one. I haven't really found a
resource that outlines the process for using a mesa card in the applications.
So what does the collective wisdom have to offer? What are my options in terms
of motion control. Affordability is a high priority, but performance is also
important. I am willing to put up with some learning curve, but I don't want to
forge new ground completely since I don't have the skillset to support that.
Thanks,
Rob