I use Allegro A3213's on all my machines.  Have had very good results, but
you'll definitely want to keep an eye on repeatability.  If you find you
have issues you might be able to compensate by using linear halls and a good
AD converter, but I haven't had the need to go down that path yet.

Andy is probably right, though - I do primarily aluminum and plastics -
nothing magnetic.

DougM