On 18 August 2011 03:48, doug metzler <doug.metz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I first started this adventure I was following the instructions here:

> and I issued these commands
> $ sudo modprobe parport_pc io=0xa400
> $ sudo modprobe lp
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

That all sounds a bit counterproductive, I am afraid

I have found that it can be helpful to load the bare minimum when
investigating what works.

I would open two terminal windows (which are indicated below by T1 and T2)

T1> sudo dmesg -c
T1> {password}
That clears the dmesg buffer so that you can see through the cruft.
T2> halrun

T2> loadrt hal_parport cfg="0,1,2"
T2> show funct
Hopefully you should see 6 functions parport.0.read, parport.1.read,
parport.2.read, parport.0.write...
If not: T1> dmesg and read what it says.

Assuming it has all worked so far:
T2> loadrt threads
T2> addf parport.0.read thread1
T2> addf parport.1.read thread1
T2> addf parport.2.read thread1
T2> addf parport.0.write thread1
T2> addf parport.1.write thread1
T2> addf parport.2.write thread1
T2> start
(that last bit is rather important)
T1> dmesg

Now, in theory, you have your three auto-located parports linked to
HAL and running in a realtime thread. So, to see if the pins are
changing as hoped with the pendant attached:

T1> loadusr halmeter

This is the long-winded, manual way to set up HAL, but you do get to
see at what point it is failing.

The example above attempts to use parport_pc to locate the parports,
if that isn't loaded or isn't working, you can try the explicit
addresses in the loadrt hal_parport line instead of the indexes.

--
atp
"Torque wrenches are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"