Ok, I'm getting back to this and here are the steps I've gone through.

My lspci -v shows the following addresses for the parallel ports on the card:
>> I/O ports at a400 [disabled] [size=8]
>> I/O ports at a000 [disabled] [size=8]
>> I/O ports at 9800 [disabled] [size=8]
>> I/O ports at 9400 [disabled] [size=8]

I did some initial messing around with trying to get the pendant to
work, but then I decided to go back to basics, so I commented out
everything about the MPG and simply changed the default parallel port
that EMC talks to to each of the above addresses in turn.

So the default was # loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out " which worked great

I attached the parallel cable (turning the machine off each time) to
the upper port (interesting note, when attaching the MPG to the upper
port the LED on the MPG lit up, but on the lower port it did not)

and went through each iteration of
# loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xa400 out "
# loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xa000 out "
# loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x9800 out "
# loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x9400 out "

Each time firing up EMC and trying a manual move via the keyboard.

no luck.  I then turned off the machine and plugged the parallel cable
into the lower port and went through the same iterations as above,
with the same results.

When I first started this adventure I was following the instructions here:

and I issued these commands
$ sudo modprobe parport_pc io=0xa400
$ sudo modprobe lp

$ sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

so thinking that may have made the parallel port unobtainable I went into

$ sudo nano /etc/modules

and commented out the two lines that had been added.

I then restarted the machine and went through the above iteration of
port addresses a second time.

All to no avail.

Your additional help and suggestions would be very much appreciated,

Thank you,

DougM