On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 09:12 -0700, doug metzler wrote:
> I'm trying to run the CNC4PC MPG-3.  I'll admit that I never actually
> got to the emc setup part, I just assumed that when it said disabled I
> was done :-)

I found this linked from the CNC4PC website:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Hooking_Up_A_MPG_Pendant

so there should be no magic required to get this working.

> So given that it might be working and given that I get the following
> output from lspci -v how do I know which port address to use?  It's a
> dual-parallel port card, but I only need one port.  should I assume
> 0xa400?
>
> I/O ports at a400 [disabled] [size=8]
> I/O ports at a000 [disabled] [size=8]
>
> I/O ports at 9800 [disabled] [size=8]
> I/O ports at 9400 [disabled] [size=8]

It looks like the axxx and 9xxx addresses are either port one or two on
the card. Don't forget the motherboard port counts too, but doesn't show
up on lspci (hal parallel ports start at port 0, then 1, 2 ...). You
will need to plug the pendant in and power up the PC, then set the EMC2
parallel port driver to each address until you get it to work. Don't
forget to not only load the driver in your EMC2 .hal file, but also set
up the functions (read and write port(s)) and hal connect the pins to
something (or just use halmeter or halscope to monitor the pins).
Stepconf might help to set this up:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/config_stepconf.html

Don't change the parallel port connector while the PC is powered up
because it will most likely burn out the port. If you are using a
parallel port buffer or isolator, you may need to figure out how it
expects to be enabled and how to set the data buffer to input or output.
Sometimes a charge pump is used to enable the buffer, see here for more:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?About_Charge_Pumps

You may also need to work out whether you need to have pull up resistors
enabled on any of the port pins, and whether common terminals are
grounded or pulled up.

> I was planning on setting it up as an output to a stepper driver
> (G540) as the initial test and then try to configure the MPG.

http://cnc4pc.com/Files/PCIPP.zip PCI PP files, has the Moschip
datasheet

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_parallel_port.html EMC2
parallel port driver notes

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_tools.html Halmeter, Halscope
notes

There may be other issues I've left out.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html