The hal pins are changed in control.c
lines 1761 for spindle on
line 1762 for forward
line 1763 for reverse
HAL pin 'spindle on' is based on emc status of spindle speed * emc status
net_spindle_scale
In other words spindle is on if emc status spindle speed is not 0 - off if it
is 0
Presumably M5 sets emc status spindle speed to 0 somewhere
and presumably m3/m4 tells emc to transfer the gcode s speed to emc status
spindle speed
The m codes are not directly controlling the HAL pins
So its alot more work to fix this then you hoped.
Thats how I see it from a quick look - not that I'm any expert with the guts of
EMC