2011/9/20 Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>

> I would think that this would be very hard to implement successfully.
> You are talking about optimizing the acceleration settings to a
> particular motor/drive/load setup.
>
> I can only see this being of a benefit if you were running a fixed part
> with the same cutter over and over again with a undersized or poorly
> sized drive system.     If you changed materials or cutters or the
> carriage mass you might have to
> retune everything.

The main idea it to use motors at full capacity. Now maxaccel is limited by
torque value at max speed, but it sometimes could be 2-3 times larger at low
speeds, resulting in 1.5-2 times shorter acceleration distance. That would
be especially noticeable at short moves.

The norm is to make sure that you are not operating your motors that
> close to the edge of their torque curve.
> A machine with accels tightly fitted to the motor/drive/load would be
> very unforgiving.

But at least we might balance the torque reserves at high and low speed.
That is, use more capacity of motors, again.

> Servos can operate beyond their ratings for short periods of time which
> sometimes makes them more forgiving, especially if you increase the the
> max following error allowed.

When I tune my servos with pncconf, I have stable alternate motion with 10
m/s2 up to 7 m/min speed, with 5 m/s2 up to 9-10 m/min etc. With higher
values there's an overload and stop. It looks like lack of capacity at
higher speed.

Thus, if I want faster acceleration I should limit max speed, if want more
speed I should completely suppress the acceleration.
But with variable acceleration I could use almost all I have!

2011/9/20 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>

> Currently stepgen maxaccel is a parameter, not a pin, so it would need
> to be changed to a pin to make it possible to change it in real-time
> from HAL.
> However, that is only part of the story. I think that the max accell
> for the Trajectory Planner is read in once at load-time from the INI
> file. That would have to be turned into a HAL pin too (again,
> possible, but work)

Wouldn't it be easier to change main motion equation to take into account
jerk (thanks Bryce), and add some new parameter to stepgen?

Andrew