On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 08:23:08 AM andy pugh did opine:

> Not entirely on-topic, but this problem is delaying
> 7i76/7i69/7i70/7i71 support, so is at least vaguely relevant.
>
> My setup is a bit strange. I have a part-finished CNC controller up in
> my workroom which is a flatscreen, D510 with PicoPSU and SATA DOM SSD.
> This has accidentally become an EMC2 development platform.
> I actually do the development from the comfort of the living room,
> editing the code with XCode on my Mac with the git repo
> remote-mounted, and kicking of compiles and debugging in halcmd
> through SSH.
>
> Last night I started to have problems saving a file to the EMC2
> machine. When I went upstairs to the machine it had dozens of
> identical error dialogs on screen stacked on top of each other,
> complaining about a problem with XKB (KBX? KXB? something about Gnome
> and Keyboard anyway)
> After I rebooted it would only start in low graphics mode (and then
> wouldn't actually boot to a gui).
> This morning it brings up a login dialog (which is unusual) and won't
> let me log in with the correct password (though this _might_ be a
> keyboard translation problem, it's hard to say).
> ssh from the Mac times out, and there is a pop up about Gnome Power
> Manager.
>
> My suspicion is is that I have worn out the SSD after a year of dozens
> of EMC2 compiles every night. (If I had known I was going to use the
> machine this way I wouldn't have used an SSD). Does this sound likely?

Its the best I can come up with Andy.  They have a wear leveling write
mechanism, but a dozen compiles every night would, from what I've read,
probably wear it out to the error point in about that time frame.

> Getting the data off the SSD ought to be easy enough (if it still
> works read-only, which I suspect it will) if I can find some way to
> connect it to something else. I have an eSATA port, but would need an
> adaptor to plug in the SSD which is SATA + separate 5V connector. I
> hopefully have a remote backup too. (I took a "Snapshot" in Xcode. I
> am hoping that does what I think it does)

Good luck with that, a fellow named Murphy says you will have some
scrambled data.  I would I believe, disconnect the SSD, put a fresh sata
rotating drive in it, install 10-04 LTS so as to make sure the rest of the
hardware is good, then install the ssd (I assume that 510 has more than 1
sata connector) and see what dd might be able to extract from it.

Here I'm having decent luck with commodity 1Tb seagate sata drives, and
much poorer luck with sata cables/connectors, every time I move a cable I
get s slew of drive resets because of pissy connections. I have replaced 2
of the 4 cables in this box, but am now down to no new, good cables without
going to staples or mail ordering some new ones.  The oldest one is what
amanda keeps its virtual tapes on, and its getting on in service time since
its on 24/7:
[root@coyote]# smartctl -a /dev/sdd|grep Power
  9 Power_On_Hours       21440
 12 Power_Cycle_Count      152

That is equ 2.44581336984 years of relatively error free, gets about 30Gb
re-written to it every night, service.

Personal opinion: When selecting sata cables, leave any of the red ones
hanging on the pegboard.  The red dye used is a shade I recognize from back
in the 70's as being a guarantee of cable failure in about a year because
it corrodes and makes brittle, to the point it cannot be stripped back and
resoldered, the copper conductors in it.  Even in silver plated 30 ga wire
wrapping wire, this effect can be seen in not more than 2 years.  Black is
ok, as are green, blue and yellow, but that red dye is deadly to copper.

And guess what, the last time I was in Staples, all they had was red.  I
squalled like a hungry kitten.

Cheers, Gene
I consider a new device or technology to have been culturally accepted when
it has been used to commit a murder.
                -- M. Gallaher