On 10/18/2011 2:56 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 18 October 2011 17:46, Jon Elson<el...@pico-systems.com>  wrote:
>

>> Of course you have!  Plug the SSD into another computer as a second
>> drive and run
>> SMART utilities on it, it will probably tell you what has happened.
>>
> Easier said than done, I don't have another SATA machine other than
> the iMac, and that has to be disassembled to get to the SATA.
> Even a USB-SATA adapter is tricky as the drive is one of these
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320760463565
> With a separate 5V supply via a tiny plug (which is currently soldered
> to the PicoPSU)

Andy... I think you are low on computer parts.  Gotta stock up.    :-)

I think the USB adapter will plug into that Sata data connector - so
that will get you a data connection.

Find an old USB cable, cut off the one end and use it to steal 5 volts
off of a second USB port to power up the drive.

Once you start using a soldering iron to make connections .... there is
no stopping.  ;-)

That should get you connected to your iMac without cracking the case.

Dave