On 10/18/2011 5:34 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> Not entirely on-topic, but this problem is delaying
> 7i76/7i69/7i70/7i71 support, so is at least vaguely relevant.
>
> My setup is a bit strange. I have a part-finished CNC controller up in
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one whose computing environment
has grown helter-skelter! For reasons I can't explain, most of my Linux
work is currenly done either on a SSD-equipped ASUS miniATX system or on
a Lenovo Ubuntu-only laptop, both happily networked to more muscular
systems. Go figure.

> My suspicion is is that I have worn out the SSD after a year of dozens
> of EMC2 compiles every night. (If I had known I was going to use the
> machine this way I wouldn't have used an SSD). Does this sound likely?
I spent a lot of time trolling the Internet this last winter looking for
definitive info about SSD reliability. Opinions differ. The short
answers I came up with are
1) SSDs die
2) there's lots of conflicting data about why and how they die
3) they tend to die more catastrophically than do hard drives, e.g.,
they are more likely not be amenable to recovery
4) backups are necessary, now more than ever

(I used to have a rule of thumb for my secretaries: what is the longest
you'd be willing to work simply to redo something you've already done?
set your backup schedule to less than that time.)
> Getting the data off the SSD ought to be easy enough (if it still
> works read-only, which I suspect it will) if I can find some way to
> connect it to something else. I have an eSATA port, but would need an
> adaptor to plug in the SSD which is SATA + separate 5V connector. I
> hopefully have a remote backup too. (I took a "Snapshot" in Xcode. I
> am hoping that does what I think it does)

Others seem to deprecate SATA-USB adapters, but they have served me well.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent