On 10/18/2011 5:34 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> Not entirely on-topic, but this problem is delaying
> 7i76/7i69/7i70/7i71 support, so is at least vaguely relevant.
>
> My setup is a bit strange. I have a part-finished CNC controller up in
> my workroom which is a flatscreen, D510 with PicoPSU and SATA DOM SSD.
> This has accidentally become an EMC2 development platform.
> I actually do the development from the comfort of the living room,
> editing the code with XCode on my Mac with the git repo
> remote-mounted, and kicking of compiles and debugging in halcmd
> through SSH.
>
> Last night I started to have problems saving a file to the EMC2
> machine. When I went upstairs to the machine it had dozens of
> identical error dialogs on screen stacked on top of each other,
> complaining about a problem with XKB (KBX? KXB? something about Gnome
> and Keyboard anyway)
> After I rebooted it would only start in low graphics mode (and then
> wouldn't actually boot to a gui).
> This morning it brings up a login dialog (which is unusual) and won't
> let me log in with the correct password (though this _might_ be a
> keyboard translation problem, it's hard to say).
> ssh from the Mac times out, and there is a pop up about Gnome Power Manager.
>
> My suspicion is is that I have worn out the SSD after a year of dozens
> of EMC2 compiles every night. (If I had known I was going to use the
> machine this way I wouldn't have used an SSD). Does this sound likely?
>
> Getting the data off the SSD ought to be easy enough (if it still
> works read-only, which I suspect it will) if I can find some way to
> connect it to something else. I have an eSATA port, but would need an
> adaptor to plug in the SSD which is SATA + separate 5V connector. I
> hopefully have a remote backup too. (I took a "Snapshot" in Xcode. I
> am hoping that does what I think it does)

Andy,

As Reed mentioned I would try and get a Sata to USB adapter - I have one
made by Bytecc, model BT-300, and it has worked flawlessly for many
years now for quickly attaching a raw drive to either a Linux or Windows
system.
The BT-300 has its own disk drive power supply.

For me the quickest solution to your problem would be to attach that SSD
drive to the Sata to USB converter, plug it into a Windows PC, and run
RDrive, which is a "Acronis like" backup software product that
can handle the EXT4 Linux file format.   Backup the drive to an RDrive
image.   Get another same size or larger SATA drive and push the image
to the new drive with RDrive.
If RDrive can read the drive, you can be back up and running very quickly.

The RDrive software is good stuff.   Not as advanced as Acronis, but it
handles EXT4 very well.  :-)

Dave