Yes, I think you are exactly right.. You've worn it out.

I build these for a living - Flash has a finite life, no matter what
you do with kernels, applications, or filesystems.  Eventually it will
wear out.  Most go read-only when this happens, a few still go 'under'
when they figure out they can't continue...