andy pugh schrieb:
> On 11 November 2011 16:13, Peter Blodow <p.blo...@dreki.de> wrote:
>

>> hereabouts, you can't even buy outlets or plugs with only 4 leads.
>>

> That seems a bit strange. What do you connect the neutral to, if there
> is no external star point on a motor. for example?

When you bolt an outlet to a wall you can't possibly know what the next
guy will connect to it later.

> A typical VFD, for example, has nowhere to connect that extra wire. Do
> you leave it dangling? Do you need to fuse it?

If the VFD (primary side) or any other device has no terminal for the
neutral, just leave it. Neutral is never, never, never fused because it
would not be selective and mean a danger if devices powered by other
circuits are using the same neutral return lead. I killed a lot of LAN
power plug adapters some years ago when the neutral wire came loose in
the power distribution cabinet. In this case, devices will be connected
in series between two phases, and if one is a 2 kW heater and the other
a 5 W DC plug, guess which one will get the overvoltage...
> (To prove they exist:
> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Plugs_and_Sockets_Industrial_Index/Plugs_and_Sockets_Ind_415v/index.html#Red_415v_16_Amp_4_Pin
> )

I believe it. In England, there exist also things like haunted castles
in the moor, white ghosts at midnight, unremovable blood stains on the
carpet and Maggie Thatcher :-))
Look at this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309

for standard industrial outlets and plugs and you will know what I mean.

Peter Blodow

Peter Bloow