On 11/11/2011 03:25 AM, Peter Blodow wrote:
> Brian,
> Here in Germany, all electrical supply, home and industry, is done with
> three phase current plus neutral. For single phase use, like for
> apartments, the three phases are split up and each apartment or room
> gets one hot leg plus neutral (plus protective earth).

Interesting - you are saying that "all" homes in Germany have 3phase power?
That would mean 3
transformers instead of one - an expensive way to go for the utility company.
There is some savings
in distribution losses with 3 phase - and in the USA some homes are now getting
3 phase for
air-conditioning and a lower rate.

The thing that changes this is now inverters have dropped greatly in cost.
There is little reason to
pay for a 3-phase service install for a one man shop.  (Newer Air-conditioners
may have an inverter
to increase efficiency )

The error of using safety-ground as a neutral is a common error (the most
common?) - once current is
flowing over the conductor, there is always a voltage drop and then a ground
potential is no longer
a ground potential. The rule is: Never use safety-ground as a neutral and never
use a neutral as a
safety-ground. Safety grounds should never have current flowing unless there is
something faulty.

The number of power connectors around the world is staggering. historically,
most countries set up
their own standard so some local company would have a cartel to produce the
plugs and sockets.  Some
of the connectors are close enough in size that they will plug into other
standards creating
dangerous situations.

It is also important to note that color codes for power circuits varies by
county; sometimes in
dangerous ways! I have a bit of this written up at:

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity#Why_was_.27hot.27_Black_in_House_Wiring.3F

There is a second article related to grounding here:

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Lightning_Failures_in_Transducers

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail k...@xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. -- Mark Twain