On Monday, January 16, 2012 02:37:43 PM gene heskett did opine:

> On Sunday, January 15, 2012 09:20:33 PM Mag. Dr. Nikolaus Klepp did
opine:
> > > You know you have a problem when you first have to explain what the
> > > "thing" was before you can explain why what you did with the "thing"
> > > was so cool and still you get a blank look.
> >
> > This perfectly sums up the loss tech dilemma :-)
> >
> > Nik
>
> Yes Nik, but I am far more concerned with how we should go about fixing
> that.
>
> One side of the problem is likely the sheer amount of information that
> has become available to anyone with net access, but the inability to
> recognize a get rich quick scheme from a good personal and/or business
> plan.  I have to admit that good friends of mine who are aways on the
> lookout to win the lottery, are by now pretty tired of me prefacing a
> reply on the current subject with the phrase that I believe Hemingway
> coined, but R. A. Heinlein made famous, TANSTAAFL.  That single acronym
> probably fits 90% or more of the BS that comes flooding into our
> computers from a simple google search.
>
> So I believe the first thing we should try and teach is TANSTAAFL, long
> before the computer is ever turned on.
>
> Cheers, Gene

I've just made a somewhat illuminating discovery.  Running visolate here,
and using its demo graphic as a starting point, I had it make the voroni
toolpath, and the outline toolpath ngc files with movement rates of 0.1 and
rapids at 0.15 since it wants ips, not ipm in those boxes.  Then I loaded
the result into emc and checked properties.  On my machine, at my
feedrates, the outline file would theoretically run in 20.4 minutes.  The
voroni path file would run in 18.4 minutes.  So, while it may look like it
should be faster, saving 10% of the machining time seems hardly worth it.
Considering the outline mode will actually draw the text as text in the
copper, that alone is worth that 2 minutes.  Maybe the pcb-gcode pluggin is
easier to use?  Considering that I haven't found an eagle output file in
the projects/demo tree that visolate is 100% happy with (but I still know
zip about using eagle just yet) I may be making assumptions that won't
prove to be 100% true.  I also might be forced to install a 3rd spindle,
one with some real rpms. 2500 revs isn't exactly ideal.  I could get
tempted to make my own but all I'd have for chucks are dremels, and those
are pure crap with horrible run outs.  Does anyone know of a source for
.125" collects for the HF die grinder?  Hopefully that run truer than their
1/4" supplied collect?

Cheers, Gene
It's gonna be alright,
It's almost midnight,