On 1/15/2012 1:41 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> I also play the canary in the coal mine part on the amanda list, using a
> script that never forgets the many ./configure options so each succeeding
> alpha release is built with all the same options each time.  All of this of
> course is my attempt to compensate for the failing short term memory of
> oldtimers.  Generally, I get by with it.:)
Gene:

The best way to delay the ravages of old-timers disease is to exercise
the mind. I choose to solve Sudoku and crossword puzzles (in ink, still)
but I suppose wrestling with Java jar paths would work in a pinch.

I was going to say "remember, the best way to delay..." but of course
that would unnecessary because if you couldn't remember, there would be
no point in saying it :-)

Like my dad used to quip, "They say three things happen as you grow
older. The first is that your memory goes, and the second is, uh, ...."

As an aside, I actually liked using Java in production environments when
I was still working, but I hate using it in occasional one-off
applications where I end up spending more time remembering how it works
than writing code.

Of course, our PCs are Turing machines, and it doesn't matter to them
which programming language we use to make them run, but it sure matters
to the programmer.

To each his own but I settled on Python. From a cold start, I can
usually understand someone else's Python code well enough in a few hours
to bend it to my own purpose without working up a sweat. Not that this
observation helps you dig out of your hole.

Regards,
Kent

PS - your closing lines the other day made me think you could be a
charter member of the "Conan the Barbarian" fan club. The general asks
"what is best in life?" and Conan replies "to crush your enemies, to see
them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."