On Monday, January 16, 2012 04:29:38 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> a...@conceptmachinery.com wrote:
> > Hi
> > i there spindle motor and motor drive that can be better used for
> > tapping? Problem with use tap is that spindle motor can easy crash
> > tap and after that extra  charge - + equipment - to remove broke tap
> > from hole.
>
> I have been using rigid tapping with EMC2 for almost 2 years.  It works
> amazingly well.
> You do have to be sure the tap will not reach the bottom of the hole.
> There is no system
> I can think of that can stop the motor quickly enough if this happens,
> and even using
> a torque-limiting clutch will not prevent all catastrophes.
>
> Jon

That was when I learned about EDM to remove the taps. :)  Slow, but does
the job without hurting the hole.  I have since built a better PSU for
that, works nicely but you can hear it running blocks away, very _VERY_
noisy, estimated 140db inside the teeny shop I have.

Cheers, Gene
About all some men accomplish in life is to send a son to Harvard.