a...@conceptmachinery.com wrote:

>>>Hi
>>>i there spindle motor and motor drive that can be better used for
>>>tapping?
>>>Problem with use tap is that spindle motor can easy crash tap and after
>>>that extra  charge - + equipment - to remove broke tap from hole.
>>>

>>I have been using rigid tapping with EMC2 for almost 2 years.  It works
>>amazingly well.
>>You do have to be sure the tap will not reach the bottom of the hole.
>>There is no system
>>I can think of that can stop the motor quickly enough if this happens,
>>and even using
>>a torque-limiting clutch will not prevent all catastrophes.
>
> Hi
> Tapping cycle use very slow motion, why drive can not stop motion of spindle?
> if max rpm for tapping around 100 rpm , can drive stop spindle ?
> it is possible to program for 70% or torque that actually will crash tap,
> to have some safety.
> aram

Several things here. Rigid tapping is just that, no torque slip clutch
as that would throw the spindle and tap out of sync.

  If you had a tension/compression tap holder you may get by with a slip
clutch. If you are in doubt about your tap then simply tap shallow and
finish by hand.

  Speed wise 100RPM is very slow. I tap up to 3/8 both cut and roll taps
at 500 RPM, 5/8 taps go at 200 RPM for cut and 120 for roll form. Many
smaller taps in Aluminum are spinning at 1000 RPM or more.

  If Fanuc, Siemens, Mazak, et al have not implemented torque limiting
for taps I would guess that it is much more difficult than it looks.

Ed.