Kirk Wallace wrote:

> Most of the components on the G540 are SMT and too small to have
> markings, so I could only guess about what they are. I have some close
> up pictures of the area in question, but my camera's cable has woken up
> and run off somewhere. I'll post the pictures when I get this sorted
> out.

Most of those tiny parts have a 2 or 3 letter code that can be looked up to
tell what part it is.
> On the other hand I'm thinking I'll need to deal with the G540 as it is.
>
> I'm still concerned that the G540's 10x microstepping would put it out
> of the parallel port arena. It seems a 5i25 would be more appropriate,
> plus taking into account other savings the 5i25 might provide, might
> make it cost similar to a PCI parallel port and buffer board. Trying a
> Pluto-P is on my to-do list.

Right, 10X microstepping on small motors with fine-pitch leadscrews end up
needing a fast step rate.  Assuming 2000 (micro) steps per rev, and wanting
maybe 30 IPM on a Sherline or Taig with a 20 TPI leadscrew, that is
30 * 20 = 600 RPM or 10 RPS.  10 RPS * 2000 = 20,000 steps/second.
This is doable with software stepping, but near the limit.  And, the step
timing becomes jumpy at the high end.  It is barely humming for a hardware
step generator, however.  They can easily go ten times faster and more.
Well, maybe you will have luck with the Pluto, but others have had
problems with it.

Jon