On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 22:05 -0500, Steve Stallings wrote:
> Kirk,
>
> Oops, I now realize that you did get different
> result for the Startech card in EPP mode. Did
> you have a utility from Startech to set that
> board to EPP mode, or did you use one of the
> utilities from Jon Elson or a similar routine?
>
> Steve Stallings

I've used these three cards before with a Pluto-P and Pico UPC, so I
know they go into EPP. For the Rosewill/9815, the datasheet indicates
the pin in question has an open drain. I didn't find any indication of
switching to EPP would switch in a pull-up or totem-poll. My guess is
this is why some boards act the same way in EPP as SPP, they just don't
have the circuitry for driving the signal. It just happened that the
SIIG has enough drive that it did okay with the G540 in both SPP and
EPP. I don't have a datasheet for the SIIG or Startech, so I have no
information on their drive circuits.

I used my showport.c and Jon's pcisetup program to set ports to EPP.
There was mixed results here. Only the BIOS on my Intel motherboard
would set EPP or SPP. If I set the port to SPP, after boot up the
extended registers would not show up so the showport/pcisetup utilities
could not access the extended registers. The Startech worked like a
charm. I could load LinuxCNC and switch between SPP and EPP on the fly,
and have it show up on the scope. The other two cards showed no
difference because of the lack of output drivers.

Now that parport_pc works with LinuxCNC it comes in very handy. I can do
a "dmesg" and all of the port information for port number, base and
extended addresses comes up, no more guessing on what "lspci -v" address
does what. I was a little surprised at how handy Stepconfig is too.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html