Strictly from an outside observer..  I would thing that modularizing (is
that even a word) linuxcnc so like hal (that can run by itself) each
'module' could be replaced with a different one.  So - say someone
writes a different g-code parser..  or a different TP..  or whatever.
These could be hooked in easier.   I like the hal architecture where
each component has pins that can be virtually hooked together.

Again - I am coming from a 'big picture' perspective.

sam