On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 01:20:00 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > I have another wild idea, your Vab, Vac, Vbc voltages would appear to
> > be moderately well balanced, as they should be.  The generated C,
> > measured to ground, is quite hot as is also expected.
>
> Perfect should be 208 V, so 212 is quite close.
>
> Jon

I agree, but with the raising of the std line voltages over my lifetime,
such that wall socket voltages are now about 127 to ground, that original
208 has also risen by the same scale amount, and is now (reaches for kcalc
since I don't do vector additions in my 8th grade educated head at all
well) =219.970452561 volts phase to phase when the 3 phase input lines,
measured to ground are 127 volts each.

So yes, 212 is close, but a hair low.  But recall we are using Johns meter,
which may or may not be traceable to the NBS and we've no idea if his
single phase feed is up to snuff.  If he only has 112 volts at a wall plug,
either his meter is off a tad, or the power co. folks need to come out and
raise his pole can by one tap.

That likely will be a pull the pole flag and fuse, open the top of the can
and actually move the tap which may be under 6" of what is loosely called
crisco because it looks like Crisco cooking oil.  BTDT, except I was dumb,
the cans, because they were inside the building, had to have a fireproof
oil in them, aka Askerol, aka the stinkiest damned PCB's, and it takes
about a year to get that shit back out of your body after working up to
your elbows in it for half a day.

I made my youngest son not too long after that, and it was hell to get him
to his 5th birthday, lots of trips to the Mayo Clinic.  I will always blame
the PCB's in my system at the time I made him for that.  The 'crisco' cans
used outside on pads or poles aren't a problem because that is just a
vegetable oil.

127 has been the std here in the lower 48 for about 35-40 years.

Cheers, Gene
"The porcupine with the sharpest quills gets stuck on a tree more often."