On 06/04/2012 08:00 AM, gene heskett wrote:
>> Dawn is a much better degreaser.  Fella talked me into using it a few
>> years back to wash down the surface of my cane rods before varnishing,
>> and it worked great.  I started using it on the metal stuff I was bluing
>> and got more consistent blues of the metal too.  And I always have a
>> gallon of DNA laying around, for finishing and cleaning stuff.  DNA is
>> great for cleaning up soldering flux residue too.
>>
> I've always steered clear of DNA, preferring the real thing for that as its
> faster.

It's getting much harder to get 200 proof pure ethyl alcohol anymore
though.  Our wondrous ATF  has regulated it so much.  I have about 1/2
pint of it sitting here at work on my shelf.
> Story from my tv days:  We used to buy freon TF in 6 gallon cartons for
> head cleaning of tape recorders, and we thought doing it 2-6x a day/machine
> was normal.  Then came the ozone hole, so I went looking for another
> cleaner, and settled on the Ace Hdwe alky, the one with the SLX label on
> the can.  That worked well too, and it only took me a day or so to discover
> that the head cleaning job went from several times a day for a busy
> machine, to once or twice a week!  That TF was leaving something behind
> that was attracting the tape oxide I think.  A huge difference in the
> amount of daily housekeeping in the control room required.

You sure the Ace alcohol ain't denatured?  I haven't seen anything but
DNA or isopropyl on their shelves in years.

> Cheers, Gene

Mark