The problem I've run across with trying to use halrun is how to shut it
down when finished. I have however stumbled across how to "install" your
custom gui and run it from linuxcnc without jumping through a bunch of
hoops.

http://gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/gui/gui03b.html

A goodle search for "ubuntu how to run a program on startup" seems to
come up with the answer you seek.

John