I've been following this 3D printed gun issue closely.  It's one of the
most inflammatory of the many issues surrounding the transformational 3D
printing technology that will democratize a number of industries.

Yes, the HuffPo article is very political, as is to be expected.

I have one scratch-built Hadron ORD Bot printer, assembled and awaiting
electronics, and a second Hadron kit that I haven't started.  I'm a bit
swamped with a couple of other CNC projects, but I'll be getting back to
the Hadrons ASAP.

I have a small online company that sells firearms accessories.  I want
to use the 3D printers to manufacture firearm accessories that are too
complex to machine cost effectively, and the products are too low volume
to injection mold cost effectively.  So far, 3D printing has been the
realm of engineers who want overnight prototypes and hobbyists who like
to play around and make geeky things.  I believe 3D manufacturing is
inevitable.  My second Hadron will have three extruders and will print
three identical parts at the same time for improved throughput.  There
is much work to be done to make 3D printing technology viable for short
run manufacturing, and I look forward to the challenges.

There is a hacker motto that */Information Wants To Be Free/*. The
design of a firearm is information, and as I stated in an email to an
engineer friend last week concerning 3D printed firearms, there is no
putting that genie back in the bottle.  I'll avoid the politics too, as
this isn't the place for it, but from a technical perspective, hating on
some application of new technology isn't going to slow it down in the least.

The printed AR-15 receiver was modified slightly to accommodate the
material substitution, but the optimal solution is to design a firearm
specifically for 3D printing.  It's amazing how simple and inexpensive
it would be to print a very short range defensive weapon.  In the US,
there are laws regulating such activities.  I think most of these are
bad laws, because they're the type of laws that prevent good people from
activities that harm nobody while not doing anything to prevent bad
people from harming others.  That being said, I don't violate these bad
laws... not even late at night in my basement workshop when nobody is
watching.

For the record, I thought it was very crummy that the management and/or
marketing people at Stratasys repossessed the 3D printer when there was
publicity over its use to print a functioning firearm. Does HP
confiscate a printer if you print a picture of a gun that offends
people, or pr0n, or....  I guess that's another reason for me to build
my own 3D printer, so I OWN it, as opposed to buying or leasing a
Stratasys 3D printer... although I already had about 30,000 other
rea$ons not to buy a Stratasys 3D printer.  :-)

My engineer friend that I mentioned earlier owns one of those $35,000
Stratasys Dimension 3D printers.  I warned him not to print any gun parts.