On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Wesley Moore <wmo...@jlab.org> wrote:

> Brief background: EPICS is a basically a client-server framework for
> cross-platform distributed controls.  The server-side provides variables that
> clients can read/write too.  The variables can store data or act as triggers.

We used EPICS around here (we're your relative neighbors from
NIST/NCNR in Gaithersburg MD)

> Currently, I'm testing/learning linuxcnc with a 3-axis mill for proof of
> principle.  But our goal is to build a hexapod that's fully integrated with
> our EPICS controls, that's where I come in.  One of my colleagues posted a
> design sim here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSfLRaEPEE&list=UU7zkQp-M-_i3c498p9MGWmA&index=1

hmm, 0.00006"/step, assuming 200 steps/rev is .012 inch/thread, or
83tpi. This is an ambitious lead screw---and also, don't forget about
the backlash. Typically backlash is in the few mil range, so it seems
that it seriously eats into your desired accuracy. You may need to
look into ballscrews and microstepping for this kind of accuracy.