Jon Elson wrote:
> Ralph Stirling wrote:
>
>> One show stopper I found with the RPi was the high probability
>> of SD card corruption during power cycles (power failure without
>> full OS shutdown first).  Is the BeagleBone Black immune to this
>> problem?  The quoted ten second shutdown is good, but I'd like
>> to have the flash image survive unforeseen power failures.  If
>> it handles those fine, then I'm ready to get excited about it.
>>

> This is a problem that has been around for some time.  it is almost
> certainly more
> complicated than at first glance.
Oh, one other data point.  I have been using SanDisk 4gb SD cards, with
relatively
few problems.  I have a Dane-Elec disk that croaked after minimal usage, and
doesn't seem to be repaired by fsck.  A number of other users also
report good
luck with official SanDisk and some other name-brand cards, and a lot
of problems with off-brand or cards that might be counterfeit, bought on
eBay or whatever.  I bought many of my SD cards at MicroCenter.

If the power is shut off while the SD card is in the middle of a
wear-leveling
swap, I don't know how it will handle that.  There are methods of keeping
all data in a secure condition until the swap is complete, but some cheap
controllers may not have firmware that does this right.  If the
wear-leveling
remap table gets corrupted, the card is generally scrap, there's no way to
reformat it.

Jon