On 4/23/2013 9:35 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> Jon Elson wrote:
>> Ralph Stirling wrote:
>>
>>> One show stopper I found with the RPi was the high probability
>>> of SD card corruption during power cycles (power failure without
>>> full OS shutdown first).  Is the BeagleBone Black immune to this
>>> problem?  The quoted ten second shutdown is good, but I'd like
>>> to have the flash image survive unforeseen power failures.  If
>>> it handles those fine, then I'm ready to get excited about it.
>>>

>> This is a problem that has been around for some time.  it is almost
>> certainly more
>> complicated than at first glance.
> Oh, one other data point.  I have been using SanDisk 4gb SD cards, with
> relatively
> few problems.  I have a Dane-Elec disk that croaked after minimal usage, and
> doesn't seem to be repaired by fsck.  A number of other users also
> report good
> luck with official SanDisk and some other name-brand cards, and a lot
> of problems with off-brand or cards that might be counterfeit, bought on
> eBay or whatever.  I bought many of my SD cards at MicroCenter.
>
> If the power is shut off while the SD card is in the middle of a
> wear-leveling
> swap, I don't know how it will handle that.  There are methods of keeping
> all data in a secure condition until the swap is complete, but some cheap
> controllers may not have firmware that does this right.  If the
> wear-leveling
> remap table gets corrupted, the card is generally scrap, there's no way to
> reformat it.

I remember having problems with my brand new BeagleBoardXM not booting
Arch Linux from specific microSD cards, instead throwing an mmc time-out
error.

The first one to fail was a SanDisk card with proper specifications but
the problem seemed to be a function of manufacturing tolerance or some
other hidden variable and not of the specific manufacturer. There was
lots of forum traffic (stretching back to 2009!), lots of handwaving and
kernel developers kept adding defensive code to the driver and
suggesting different kernel configuration parameters.

The offending cards seemed to work with other distributions including
the Angstrom distribution of the time. As I said in a Feb 2012 ArchLinux
forum message, "there doesn't seem to be any consistency to the
implementations of the fixes in various distributions."

The offending cards also seemed to work with other boards which
suggested to me the problem may be exacerbated by the nature of the
BeagleBoardXM's physical interface to the microSD card.

I never felt comfortable with microSD card technology after that. The
rampant counterfeiting doesn't help either---but that wasn't the source
of my problem.

I'm not reading all the forums I used to and this problem you're
discussing has caught me completely by surprise. It makes me even more
uncomfortable. I wonder if the built-in flash memory of the new
BeagleBone Black can have this problem too? That would be a nasty surprise.

Regards,
Kent