On 06/02/2013 04:17 PM, Erik Friesen wrote:

> It is set up so that a second button
> has to be pressed to enable jogging to prevent accidental jogging.  Is
> there some equivalent safety feature on the Jog It! pendant?

Nope.  The JogIt pendant is a very simple device.  Pushing any button
sends a keyboard command, the same as if the key was pressed on a
keyboard.  The difference is, the pendant buttons are specific to
running a CNC machine, the simplified pendant keypad is laid out
ergonomically for CNC control, and the keys are labeled for their CNC
function as opposed to a regular keyboard that has letters and numbers
and symbols spread all over the place.

There is a pair of buttons to increase and decrease the jog speed so you
can jog slowly for delicate work or you can go fast if you're in a hurry
when making long moves.  There are six dedicated buttons for jogging the
X, Y and Z axes, each in both directions.  The JogIt pendant also allows
homing, running programs, stopping programs, pausing and resuming
programs, control of two dedicated outputs AUX1 and AUX2 which might be
used for flood and mist coolant in some applications.

Because the JogIt pendant is essentially a keyboard and it's open
source, you could easily add a normally open push button in series with
the power from the USB port, so that button would need to be pressed
before the other buttons were active, but so far I haven't found it to
be a big problem.  I just don't press buttons when I shouldn't.  :-)

An MPG is very cool and definitely has the real CNC feel about it, but I
find the JogIt to be quite adequate for my needs, and I do love the
plug-n-play aspect of it.  If you have an open USB port for the JogIt,
it's gonna work with no HAL file manipulation, no wiring, no searching
the internet after it doesn't work, etc.

There are a couple of demo videos on the KickStarter page I linked to in
my last post.  Here it is again.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1651082654/jog-it-open-source-controller-pendant-for-emc2-and

Here's the direct link to the video showing the JogIt pendant
controlling a machine via LinuxCNC.

http://youtu.be/WcQDt7Doo5w
(4:35 video)