I highly recommend the JogIt! pendant.  I bought four of them via a
KickStarter campaign.  There's a Mach version and a LinuxCNC version.
They're awesome.  I use the small Logitech K400 wireless keyboard and
touchpad to load the program and I do everything else with the JogIt!
pendant.  I could use the small K400 keyboard as a wireless pendant, but
it's still a lot larger than the pendant and the JogIt! pendant has
dedicated keys for everything.  It plugs into a USB port and is truly
plug-n-play with LinuxCNC.

I know this sounds like a commercial, but I have no financial interest
and am just a happy customer.  I have four, and I think I'm going to buy
two more!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1651082654/jog-it-open-source-controller-pendant-for-emc2-and