On 06/02/2013 03:16 PM, Dave wrote:
> If you are using a USB joystick as a pendant, which model are you using??

At least for my Sherline, a Logitech Dual-Action gamepad works
wonderfully well. Here's the initial description:

http://softsolder.com/2010/10/23/logitech-gamepad-as-emc2-pendant-eagle-schematics-for-the-joggy-thing/

It gives direct four-axis control: XY on the left, ZA on the right. The
buttons along the top provide full-speed rapids and the joysticks go
down to crawling speeds.

The HAL circuitry detects which joystick axis starts moving and locks
out all the others, which prevents inadvertent motion along an axis that
you've already lined up against an edge. The buttons don't have that
lockout, so you can slew diagonally at high speed when that's appropriate.

More HAL wiring uses two of the four buttons on the cable side as an
E-stop button: you must push both buttons to trigger the stop. Agreed,
software should be in the E-stop loop, but this is a Sherline... and I
haven't ever used those buttons, come to think of it, because shutting
off the power to the motor driver box works even better.

> How practical are USB joysticks for use as pendants on a milling machine?

Probably not very, at least on a real milling machine that's spraying
coolants and hot chips and piles of swarf all over. On the other hand,
gamepads are cheap and easily replaceable, so you don't form a deep
emotional attachment to them...

--
Ed
softsolder.com