On Wed, 8/7/13, Kent A. Reed <kentallanr...@gmail.com> wrote:
<clip>
 I'd have to characterize the whole of the work as "not yet
 ready for prime time" but "real soon now" from the standpoint of the
 common user.
 Not only customized LinuxCNC software but also customized
 capes/interface boards are emerging should you choose to play.
<clip>

I'm anticipating the day when there's a board for the BeagleBone Black that can
control at least 4 axes of stepper, servo or any combination, with the ability
to take position input from linear scales and/or encoders - plus enough inputs
and outputs for limit switches, spindle control, lube pumps, tool changers and
all the other goodies.

That would make setting up a basic lathe or 3 axis mill + rotary table
inexpensive and fairly simple. :-)

Going another way, a useful BBB expansion would just have an RS232 port. Put
the thing inna box and plug it onto the serial port on vintage machines with
drip feed capability. A cheap, powerful little limpet to drastically enhance
the abilities of old equipment without spending big bucks and a lot of time on
a complete retrofit.