On 07.08.2013 16:28, Kent A. Reed wrote:
> On 8/7/2013 8:26 AM, Paul Lacatus wrote:

>>> BTW Beaglebone is much easier to mount somewhere in the electronics cabinet
>>> The only thing that keeps me from using Beaglebone are the emails about
>>> hdmi and pru fight for particular pins, so there were some difficulties
>>> about them. I know that Charles has a working solution, but I do not know
>>> any details.
>>> Disabling hdmi and running the beaglebone headless is definitely a
>>> solution, but I know that I am not that advanced to set up something like
>>> that.
>>>
>> the BBW that I already have has no HDMI but has also low specifications
>> ( comparable with RasPi that I also have 720MHz Cortex , 256 MB ) than
>> BBB . I am prepared to use it headless with X11 server on other machine
>> . That why I proposed Raspi for an X11 server. I like Axis toolpath
>> preview and I don't want to loose it ;). On BBB I heard That is a
>> "bridge cape" that is solving the pin problems.
>>
> Paul:
>
> Which are you---a machinist who wants to make chips fly or a computer
> enthusiast who wants to play with new hardware/software combos?
>
> Please don't think I'm being snarky.
>
> A machinist who wants a solution which "just works" would either stick
> with the oversize AT/ATX computer you already have or substitute a
> downsized, presumably Intel Atom-equipped microATX board with an onboard
> parallel port. The LinuxCNC wiki contains latency test data for some of
> these boards. The archive of this list contains messages about the
> headaches caused by the onboard graphics controllers of certain of these
> boards. If you're willing to use a RPi as the Xserver for a BBW then you
> should have no problem using it as well for any x86-based controller if
> the onboard graphics don't work out. I'm actually a great fan of
> separate Xserver terminals---what we used to call an Xterm,  aka "thin
> client", last century. The neat thing is, you can try this approach
> right now to see if you like it, using your existing LinuxCNC as the
> Xclient.
>
> A computer enthusiast, on the other hand, may well wish to wade into the
> ARM world. There is furious activity on several levels in the LinuxCNC
> community which tends to be reported in more detail on the companion
> emc-developers mail list. I'm at the periphery of the developers,
> helping more to test their work than to contribute to it. Impressive
> gains have been made and there are some striking results (see for
> example Charles Steinkuehler's YouTube videos of his 3d printing)  but
> I'd have to characterize the whole of the work as "not yet ready for
> prime time" but "real soon now" from the standpoint of the common user.
> Not only customized LinuxCNC software but also customized
> capes/interface boards are emerging should you choose to play.
>
> If I had to compare the total cost of ownership (TCO) of the two
> approaches as opposed to the first cost of the motherboard, I'd have to
> [...]
Excellent point of view Kent.  I am more a computer "enthusiast" than a
machinist. In any moment I can use my existing old faithful computer for
machining ( mainly PCB and front panels) .  But I will try also the BBW
that I already have . I will also check the Xserver /client solution
with the existing setup ( computer) in different server implementations
( Raspi vs. computer)  . Also your proposal of Atom board is very
interesting.  I'll have to find a Atom MB with parallel port for tests.
Finaly i think that the old computer should vanish for this hobby CNC
and has to be replaced by a smart embedded solution with a large enough
touchscreen , a jog wheel and for sure LinuxCNC is the solution in front
of windows approaches.

Thank you very much .