On 8/7/2013 8:26 AM, Paul Lacatus wrote:
> On 07.08.2013 15:03, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
>> 2013/8/7 Paul Lacatus <p...@paul-lacatus.ro>
>>
>>> Your idea is interesting but an Atom board is at a fraction of BB cost
>>> that is about 50 Euro ? And what about parallel ports on atom boards ? I
>>> will check. Thank you !
>>>
>>> PS The BBW is just laying on my table ;)
>> BTW Beaglebone is much easier to mount somewhere in the electronics cabinet
>> The only thing that keeps me from using Beaglebone are the emails about
>> hdmi and pru fight for particular pins, so there were some difficulties
>> about them. I know that Charles has a working solution, but I do not know
>> any details.
>> Disabling hdmi and running the beaglebone headless is definitely a
>> solution, but I know that I am not that advanced to set up something like
>> that.
>>
> the BBW that I already have has no HDMI but has also low specifications
> ( comparable with RasPi that I also have 720MHz Cortex , 256 MB ) than
> BBB . I am prepared to use it headless with X11 server on other machine
> . That why I proposed Raspi for an X11 server. I like Axis toolpath
> preview and I don't want to loose it ;). On BBB I heard That is a
> "bridge cape" that is solving the pin problems.

Paul:

Which are you---a machinist who wants to make chips fly or a computer
enthusiast who wants to play with new hardware/software combos?

Please don't think I'm being snarky.

A machinist who wants a solution which "just works" would either stick
with the oversize AT/ATX computer you already have or substitute a
downsized, presumably Intel Atom-equipped microATX board with an onboard
parallel port. The LinuxCNC wiki contains latency test data for some of
these boards. The archive of this list contains messages about the
headaches caused by the onboard graphics controllers of certain of these
boards. If you're willing to use a RPi as the Xserver for a BBW then you
should have no problem using it as well for any x86-based controller if
the onboard graphics don't work out. I'm actually a great fan of
separate Xserver terminals---what we used to call an Xterm,  aka "thin
client", last century. The neat thing is, you can try this approach
right now to see if you like it, using your existing LinuxCNC as the
Xclient.

A computer enthusiast, on the other hand, may well wish to wade into the
ARM world. There is furious activity on several levels in the LinuxCNC
community which tends to be reported in more detail on the companion
emc-developers mail list. I'm at the periphery of the developers,
helping more to test their work than to contribute to it. Impressive
gains have been made and there are some striking results (see for
example Charles Steinkuehler's YouTube videos of his 3d printing)  but
I'd have to characterize the whole of the work as "not yet ready for
prime time" but "real soon now" from the standpoint of the common user.
Not only customized LinuxCNC software but also customized
capes/interface boards are emerging should you choose to play.

If I had to compare the total cost of ownership (TCO) of the two
approaches as opposed to the first cost of the motherboard, I'd have to
say they are roughly equal, especially if one puts a dollar/euro/leu
value on one's time. [Please, gentle readers, don't start an email storm
over this observation. If you like, I'll restate it as "all hardware
approaches cost more than you expected."]

Regards,
Kent