On Saturday 15 March 2014 16:53:05 Peter C. Wallace did opine:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Philipp Burch wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:45:18 +0100
> > From: Philipp Burch <p...@hb9etc.ch>
> >
> >     <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> >
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] I&$@)^ another C41 gone to hell.
> >
> > Hi Gene!
> >
> > On 03/14/2014 09:23 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings again;
> >>
> >> After putting in a diode, that part seemed to work, but this C41
> >> seems to have gone south again. (and again (and again)), and its
> >> looking like a 4th one has failed.  Symptoms seem to be an output
> >> impedance in the 100k region, making 375 rpm maximum, and dropping
> >> nearly 100 rpm when I put a 10 megohm digital meter on its output to
> >> measure it, and getting a hair over 5 volts for my trouble, and a
> >> fresh LM358 in the output voltage follower stage acts exactly like
> >> the one I pulled out thinking it was bad.
> >>
> >> So it looks like I need another, but it seems to me there ought to be
> >> another choice besides this non-linear POS, and the PMDX-106.  Or, do
> >> I fire up eagle & design my own?
> >>
> >> The PMDX-106 works great, but its physically too big for the area it
> >> needs to fit in by about an inch both ways.
> >>
> >> Anybody else got any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks guys.
> >
> > Do you talk about this unit?
> >
> > http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C41R2_USER_MANUAL.pdf
> >
> > I think it should be fairly easy to reverse-engineer the schematic of
> > this little thingy, as there are only through-hole components and (as
> > it looks like) just a single copper layer.
> >
> > But your comment about the LM358 in conjunction with the problem that
> > you cannot go below ~200mV output voltage caught my attention: The
> > LM358's output stage does not really sink current down to GND, so if
> > the input of your following circuit does not have a pull down, it is
> > likely that this amplifier is the cause of the problem. If so, you
> > could simply replace it by a RRIO (rail-to-rail input and output)
> > type, most standard opamps are pin compatible. If 16V max. Vcc are
> > enough, the TLV2372 could be a suitable replacement. There should be
> > many more to suit your needs, a quick parametric search yields at
> > least three parts which should fit as well:
> >
> > http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/amplifiers-linear/operational-amplifier-op-a
> > mp-products.page#p78=In;Out&p1261max=32;36V;36&p480=2;2&p10max=0.02;10
> > 00000&p2954=PDIP
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Philipp
>
> I can put the SPINX1 schematics up somewhere on Monday if it helps. Its
> designed for FPGA PWM (at 5 KHz) so would need larger capacitors for 100
> Hz

That sounds like it would be interesting.  My designs tend to be one
function ponies and don't get to where they are "simplicated" well until
about version 3 or 4. :)

Thanks Peter.

> It uses a THS4281 (the TLV237x series is nice but has a pretty high
> output impedance so no better than ~.4V from rails with only about 2 ma
> load)
>
> We get about 50 mv from the rails with a 10K load and better than 1%
> linearity at 5 KHz (Linearity would be a lot better at 100 Hz)
>
> Design is Fast OPTO --> pullup --> 4000 series CMOS gate for precise
> rail to rail PWM (OPTO is not) and CMOS has equal impedance both
> directions --> 2 pole filter --> THS4281 follower

Sounds like a fairly simple design, Peter.  Thanks.  The relay controls in
the C41 work well, but I feel the spindle control is due for a serious
rework.  And despite the 4000 family being rated at 15 volts, I have run
the decimal decoder on 28 volts for several years with only a modicum of
detectable heat while it was switching at sub-microsecond speeds.  I used
it to put colored borders on the characters of a 1st generation NTSC
character generator in 1980.

FWIW, the input loading of the Gemini is just under 30k, or a fat 27k, so
it really isn't that much of a load. Assuming 29k, its 53 microamps wide
open by my calculator.  Sending 15.5 volts into the Gemini's input.  That
is probably enough to make shrapnel out of that motors flywheel/fan. I
think I would want some building walls and quite a few yards between me and
it...

I can't find it on your pages though.

Is this available as a separate item?  It sounds like exactly what I've had
in mind. $$? $24, found it in the price list.  Where is the web page
propaganda? Found that too. Adapters and cables...

Peter, I believe, if I can find an ENA signal pin I can use, this looks
exactly like what I need.  On the shelf?  So taking an I/O inventory to
find a pin I can use for the ENA is next.

So far, 2 steps, 2 dirs=4outs, (X,Z) 3 spindle encoder ins=3ins, 2 braking
outs=6outs, PWM and DIR outs=8outs, probe(used for home too with some hal
trickery)=4ins.  One input left I think.  Unless in epp mode I can make it
an out, and this is an atom D525MW board...  Can that be done?

Thats 8 outputs used already.  Humm.  Might have to build a one shot for
the ENA in. if the port doesn't co-operate.

I'm thinking, mostly thinking its about feedbag time. :)

Cheers, Gene