On 3/16/2014 5:47 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPat
>> 3 concerns with the -03 Peter (besides the ripoff when converting AUD to
>> USD, usually resulting in at least an $80 charge).
>
> Shipping around the world seems to be in free fall at the moment?
> 'Ripoff' is probably the right word, but it is the fat cat financial people
> and
> the carriers who are doing it?
> I don't bring Gecko stuff into the UK because of the cost of shipping it over,
> but I was tempted to buy one of Peter when he first sold them on offer as
> there
> was a substantial saving buying an American unit from Australia into Europe.
>
> If a buy a certain Gecko product in the UK it's £332 delivered. If I buy it
> from
> the US direct its only £210 even with express delivery. From Peter it comes in
> at only £200 today ... Wish I had picked one up now when it was on offer ;)

In many countries, especially in Europe, there's Value Added Tax, plus a
sales tax, import tariffs, duties, often especially high on electronics.
(Some countries have charged 50~100%!)

Your £332 Gecko was likely bought by the seller for £210, add on the
additional taxes they get nailed with for re-selling, plus profit... But
you're used to it, you have to pay to own a TV, even if you never ever
watch the BBC.

In the USA a favored tactic for Less Than Load (LTL) freight is the
"fuel surcharge". Trucking companies will charge the entire cost of fuel
for the trip to every shipment on the truck. When I looked into getting
a $500 9" South Bend lathe shipped from New York to Idaho, the fuel
surcharge was $400, on top of the shipping charge. For the lowest cost I
could find for shipping that one lathe, I could fly to New York, rent a
truck and drive back here, and I'd have space at no additional cost to
load up more lathes and other machines.

If there's just one more regulation the transport industry needs, it
should be to have it so fuel surcharges total for a load cannot exceed
the actual cost of the fuel, divided equally amongst the shipments on
the truck, train, aircraft or other vehicle.