If I put any pressure on my cells they crack along a crystal border. I
wanted to cut them down in order to make a panel small enough to lay on
top of a garden tractor but with enough cells in series to get enough
voltage for charging the battery. The cells I have look like they are
meant to be cut down to six pieces each, but with a laser, which is a
service the manufacturer offers. Now I know why the store bought panels
are so expensive. I suppose the best solution for now is to make a full
size panel and park it next to where the tractors sleep. I have some
junk glass sliding doors which I can use to make a panel, but they are
tempered and can't cut down either, so another good reason to make a
full sized panel.

On 04/25/2014 02:30 PM, jeremy youngs wrote:
> kirk, a regular glass cutter will work for these, a glass cutter works
> best on poly cells , mono cells are very fragile. i would recommend a
> ready made panel or using unbroken tabbed cells. i am currently
> experimenting with thinning of silicone for encapsulant . eva is very
> difficult to get to adhere properly and remove air from
>
> On 4/18/14, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
>> On 04/18/2014 09:48 AM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
>>>
>>> While we are at it. I need to cut these down to make battery chargers
>>> for my tractors.
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/200834656851
>>>
>>> Just picking them up can break these, let alone trying to cut them. Has
>>> anyone found a way to cut these? Laser cutting is probably the best
>>> method, but of course the cost of a laser cutter is to high.
>>>
>> A diamond wafer saw does a nice job.  They go on the surplus
>> market for less than US $100K.  70K rpm, air bearings.
>> I have no idea what the saw blades cost, but probably expensive.
>> They can cut a .007" kerf.
>>
>> I have no idea if there is any other technology that works.
>> Certainly
>> not for the hobbyist.
>>
>> Jon

Kirk Wallace