G-code *is* how you specify your Cartesian motion.  Kinematics converts that to
motions of each joint or axis.

-- Ralph

rayj <raymo...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

On 05/14/2014 09:43 PM, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM, rayj <raymo...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>> I understand Cartesian and Polar coordinate systems.  I'm looking for
>> the actual method of deriving the commands that need to be sent to the
>> motor (assuming the motor shaft is the axis of rotation for the arm
>> segment under discussion).
>>
> The Cartesian and Polar coordinate system are on the same side of the
> kinematics.
> The Joint system is on the other side of the kinematics.
>

>> Example: you want to move the tip of the mill in a vertical line
>> parallel to the Z axis.  How do you take the description of that line
>> (motion from the Cartesian point <a,b,c1> to point <a,b,c2) and
>> calculate (ow!) or use software to generate the commands to be sent to
>> the (3, I'm guessing)motors?
>>
> You program the machine to move in the Cartesian coordinate system using
> Cartesian and/or Polar coordinates.
> LinuxCNC reads what you want, calculates where you want to move, sends the
> move coordinates to the kinematics module, the kinematics module calculates
> where the motor/slides should be to give you what you want then sends its
> calculation to the control to move the motor/slide to position.
>

>> And back to the original question, are those joints designated by one of
>> the xyzabcuvw designations, or is there a completely different
>> designation system.
>>
> Axes in LinuxCNC are labeled XYZABCUVW
> Joints in LinuxCNC are labeled joint0, joint1 ...
>
> There are some confusing areas where the labels are mixed but the context
> should make it clear for you. "crossed fingers"
>

>> Is there a robotics textbook out there that anyone can recommend?  I've
>> found that out of date textbooks can be gotten for very little and are a
>> wealth of information.
>>
> Robotics kinematics is a different animal than the trivial kinematics of
> the 3 axis mill.
> But the hard work has been done for most robot configurations.

The robot kinematics is one aspect that I'm interested in.  That's one
of the reasons I chose to work with LCNC for my machining setup.  It has
far wider applications.

So when I designate a motion in Cartesian space, the kinematics module
generates the G code to make the motors move.  So the setup for a given
system is the programing the kinematics module with the information
about what G code, or perhaps a lower level language, that will result
in the commanded Cartesian space motion.  Is most of this information in
the integrators manual, or some other LCNC manual?

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.  I can't imagine how long
it would have taken me to get the overall view you've explained to me.
Assuming I have understood correctly. :>)

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN