On Saturday 12 July 2014 02:52:13 Chris Morley did opine
And Gene did reply:
> > > I looked into PNCconf with the  prob_x2   XML file.
> > > I found a bug caused by Peters's XML's not using the same labels as
> > > linuxcnc's XMLs. It caused some of the GPIO pins not to show.
> > > I will push a fix.
> >
> > Great.  Downloadable by itself?  URL?
>
> I will push to 2.5.x but it is a one line fix in pncconf.py :
>
> line 4683:             pinconvertnone = {"NOT USED":GPIOI}
My copy of the srcs:
4682       try:
4683            if stepdrive:
4684            # stepmotor scale

so we aren't looking at the same code

> > > It might be nice to add the PIN info to the XML file, then pncconf
> > > might be able to display better numbers, but it gets complicated
> > > when using daughter boards.
> >
> > I got a pinout from mesaflash, by interrogating the card, which does
> > show both component and pins.  Very, very helpful. :)
>
> Yes I hand wrote some files for some of the firmware and pressing the
> help key will show them but there isn't any for your particular
> firmware :(
>
> > Basically, all I really need out of the 5i25 is its much higher
> > sample speed encoder, I am happy with the way everything else runs
> > right now.
> >
> > PncConf makes that encoder config needlessly complex, making me enter
> > a bunch of numbers I don't have instant access to. If we could get
> > the 50 slots/rev and x4 settings out of the hal file by default, it
> > would be much easier to setup correctly.
>
> Did you realize you can set the scale directly? You don't need to
> calculate it using pncconf.  Just type it in the scale box.

I could click on it and get more questions, most of which I didn't know
the answers to.

> I don't understand what you mean by getting the info from the HAL file.

In a manner similar to how it gets the stuff from the .ini file. Could it
not read the .hal file too?

> > Once the 5i25 has been setup by disabling what I don't need, does
> > this hold over a powerdown?
> >
> > Thanks Chris.
>
> After you flash a custom firmware, the firmware will always be the same
> after a powerdown. The (de)selection of components to change to GPIO,
> is done at load time so will need to be done correctly each time you
> start linuxcnc.

By loading what file?

> > > Chris M

Thanks Chris.