Strange. Please try the following:

1. Uncomment the code in HAL, so that you can start LinuxCNC.
2. While it is running (you don't need to load a file or move the axes
or anything) fire up a terminal (usually Ctrl+Shift+T) and paste the
following command (without the $ at the beginning):

$ halcmd list pin | sed 's/ /\n/g' > halpins.txt

3. Hit return to execute the command. It is normal if you do not see
anything happening.
4. The current directory (most likely /home/username/) now contains a
file called 'halpins.txt'. Throw this on pastebin and post the link here.

Explanation: The command reads all available pins from the HAL
environment and stores the list in the file halpins.txt in the current
directory. The sed magic is just there to replace the spaces by
newlines, so we get a more readable list. The created file should look
something like this:

axis.0.active
axis.0.amp-enable-out
axis.0.amp-fault-in
axis.0.backlash-corr
axis.0.backlash-filt
axis.0.backlash-vel
axis.0.coarse-pos-cmd
axis.0.error

The list should be quite lengthy, it generates over 500 lines when
running the axis simulation example.

Regards,
Philipp